Here are the underpinnings you need to give you the proper Regency foundation! This package includes patterns for a chemise, short stays, and two chemisettes. The chemise was modeled from original garments in several museum collections and features an adjustable drawstring neckline and gussets under the arms for a comfortable fit. The short stays lace in the front and were based upon extant stays in museum collections as well as period drawings of these transitional undergarments. The chemisettes were drawn from portraits of the time as well as Janet Arnold’s excellent research in Patterns of Fashion I. Begin with the chemise next to the skin, then add your stays for the correct silhouette. To create a smooth line beneath your gowns, add a long petticoat over your stays, which you can easily make from the Regency Gown pattern above (omitting the sleeves). For daytime, put a chemisette over your undergarments, then don your gown. Voila’! A full Regency wardrobe!
- Sizes 6-26D all included in one ePattern.
- Illustrated instructions make construction easy!
- Notes on original undergarments of the time as well as tips for wearing the undergarments.
- Click to download the Regency Underthings yardage chart.
- Photo Instructions available as a downloadable PDF — Click HERE!
- Available for instant download!
- This pattern is rated intermediate to advanced–the chemise could be tackled by an experienced beginner, but the stays are more complicated and require more careful fitting and stitching.
The stays are rated “intermediate,” but the chemise and chemisettes are simple enough for a beginner. I am always available through the Contact Form if you have questions! Do note that the short stays will not offer ample enough support for sizes above “DD” without serious modifications. I would instead recommend the excellent Regency Stays pattern by The Mantua Maker, which is for longer (hip-length) stays and can be easily modified to support larger cup sizes.
FITTING HELPS: Do not miss this excellent tutorial for help in fitting stays perfectly!
Note: If you purchased a copy of this pattern prior to April 2007, click HERE for corrections/revisions.
(Looking for the paper version rather than the ePattern? Purchase from one of our many retailers worldwide!)