Oct 12

Derbyshire and Chatsworth

by in art, palaces, photos, travel

Now I’ve uploaded the pictures from our drive through the hills and dales of Derbyshire and our visit to Chatsworth House. I hope you enjoy all the incredible scenery as much as we did!

Derbyshire Scenery

In and Around Chatsworth

P.S. – Whoops! I got a note from someone who said the Chatsworth photos would not enlarge. I figured out why and fixed the problem. Now you can click to get enlarged photos in that gallery. Thanks for letting me know, Lisa!

Tags: , ,

6 Responses to “Derbyshire and Chatsworth”

1. From Anonymous:

Hi Jennie,In your Chatsworth photo album on p.6, you showed a picture of a painting with a caption, “Portrait of an unknown lady (ca. 1780s).” That’s actually a very famous Gainsborough portrait of the Duchess of Devonshire, Lady Georgiana Spencer. She is related to the late Princess Diana and was just as famous in her time. She was the leader of fashion and society and very involved in politics. The portrait was sold for the highest price ever in the 1870s, then stolen to extort money. It was actually a larger painting (I believe it was full-length) but it was cut down to its current size. Anyhow, I was very excited to see the portrait because I read a biography of her!Thanks for sharing your lovely photos and blog. I told my husband that I want to go to England for our 10th anniversary too! :-)Wendy (aka sunlady)

Posted on October 15, 2006 at 1:25 am #
  2. From Jennie Chancey:

Thank you so much for the info on the painting, Wendy! I absolutely love that portrait — her face has a wonderful expression, and her outfit is great! There were a couple other portraits of Lady Georgiana at different ages, but this one was the best. Fascinating to hear its history! Thanks again!

Posted on October 16, 2006 at 11:22 am #
  3. From Anonymous:

Good Afternoon Jennie,What a wonderful “blog-site”. This is Martha Welch, Aimee’s mom. She has shared with me your adventures and today sent me your link for your trip to England.Amos and I live in a suburb of Atlanta, (Buford, GA) and have been here 6-1/2 years.I have loved reading all of your entries about your trip and have shared with the girls here at the bank where I work.You are quite the author….and I’ve enjoyed your writing as well as all the wonderful pictures.Martha Welch, for Amos too..

Posted on October 23, 2006 at 1:15 pm #
  4. From Anonymous:

Mrs. Chancey,Your trip is so beautiful, thank you for sharing it with me!Love in Christ,Tayla Maira

Posted on October 25, 2006 at 11:43 am #
  5. From Anonymous:

Wow, the pictures of Chatsworth are breath taking to be sure. The photos are lovely and I am sure it looks better in person than in the movie. The photos of you ladies out in the garden dressed in the way you were really match the setting. It looks natural. I think had you been dressed like most tourist, i.e. shorts, jeans, t-shirts and sneaker, or worse yet flip-flops, the photos would not have been the same. Very well done.I know that going to England, and more specifically the Jane Austen tour as I call it, is high on my list of things to do in my life. Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures.Miss Jana

Posted on October 30, 2006 at 8:05 am #
  6. From Arnold:

This isn’t far that from where I live, I really must make the effort to visit. Thanks for the posting. Arnold, from West Bridgford

Posted on February 19, 2011 at 11:09 am #