Regency Era

Make an Apron-Front Regency Gown! (Part One)


Cathy Hay and Jennie Chancey in Bath, 2015

I decided last August to make a new apron-front gown, basing it upon several gowns I’ve handled in person, plus an extant garment in the National Museum of Australia that I found online with detailed photographs.

This time, I’ve used my Elegant Lady’s Closet pattern as the base, since it has no back opening to begin with and features the more fitted long sleeves I planned to use for my undersleeves and the short, puffed ballgown sleeves I’d use as the over sleeves. Read more…

Jette’s Exquisite Crossover Gown


Sheer crossover gown front

Thanks a lot for this great pattern. I have never before done anything from this period, but both the underwear and the crossover gown pattern went together like a dream. The dress looks so nice, you hardly notice that it is made from an old Ikea curtain and three old pillow cases 😉 Since I live in Germany I used your e-pattern option, which even work easily on my Linux. Read more…

Kari’s Regency Ballgowns


Regency Couple

Hi Jennie, Last year my self and my family went to a Regency dance. I made all 3 dresses and open robes. I used the Elegant Lady’s Closet and the original Regency Gown pattern for my daughter’s dress. I used the Elegant Lady’s Closet to make the open robes with modifications. The dance was held […] Read more…

Lea-anne’s Crossover Gown


Lea-anne's crossover

This is my second gown from the Elegant Lady’s Closet. I bought a wonderful Indian Ikat weave fabric from Ebay and it suited the style perfectly. Next time I may make the sleeves a little wider and longer, but it turned out so much nicer than my first dress which was a round neck. I think the V neckline is more flattering to well-endowed ladies. I am also wearing my very comfortable Regency stays underneath, but I can’t show you that! The hardest part is simply finding the right sort of fabric for these dresses. Read more…

Heather’s Regency Ballgown


Heather's Ballgown - I love the ribbon trim!

I made this dress using your Simplicity pattern. My English Country Dance group was having a ball, and I needed a new dress. I started the dress on the 11th, and the ball was on the 15th! I used a cream colored satin and organdy, and my mom hand embroidered the overlay with little green flowers. And on that fabric, it’s TOUGH! I finished the dress 2 hours before the ball, and I had a lot of fun making and wearing it! Read more…

1 2 3