dress

Stitching Up the Lilly Rose Pattern

by

Lilly Rose Pattern

My friend Lorna McKenzie of The Tailor’s Apprentice asked me in 2011 to review the Lilly Rose pattern she was developing from an original 1940s design. Unfortunately, I had just moved to Kenya and was expecting a new baby at the time, so I never did get around to sewing the dress. But I can’t stand leaving a project undone, so five years later (!!!) I asked Lorna if I could still stitch up the pattern and provide feedback. She graciously sent me a review copy, and I got started! Read more…

Make an Apron-Front Regency Gown! (Part Two)

by

Bodice and sleeve

After finishing the bodice base, it was time to make the sleeves. Because this material is so thin and delicate, I chose to make full long sleeves with short oversleeves instead of using removable under sleeves. The fantastic border of this beautiful sari fabric provided me with an instant border for the long sleeve hems and the sleeve bands of the short sleeves. Read more…

Make an Apron-Front Regency Gown! (Part One)

by

Cathy Hay and Jennie Chancey in Bath, 2015

I decided last August to make a new apron-front gown, basing it upon several gowns I’ve handled in person, plus an extant garment in the National Museum of Australia that I found online with detailed photographs.

This time, I’ve used my Elegant Lady’s Closet pattern as the base, since it has no back opening to begin with and features the more fitted long sleeves I planned to use for my undersleeves and the short, puffed ballgown sleeves I’d use as the over sleeves. Read more…

1 2 3 12