The dress is FINISHED!!! This dress was for my mom using the Sense and Sensibility Romantic Era pattern. The neckline was made using a neckline that was a cross between the jumper and the wide bateau necklines, with inset lace. The bodice is lined with cotton muslin and is gathered along the waistline. There is a separate waistband on this dress. This was typical of the early to mid 1800’s. We chose the Leg O’ Mutton sleeves, even though they were long. The ball gown sleeves just wouldn’t have done the dress justice and would have looked a bit childish for the period. A bit warm in July – but this dress will take Mom right through winter! 🙂 I also added some lace to the sleeves – this is set on top with clear nylon thread – not period correct, but easy as pie to add on with the zigzag. The skirts of the time were basically 2, 3, or 4 widths of fabric sewn together. For a narrower skirt, we chose 2 and gathered all the way around. I also added 3 half-inch tucks to the bottom of the dress. Because of the fabric pattern, they are a bit difficult to see. But they are pretty!! The back of the dress is buttoned with seven 3/4″ fabric covered buttons. I thought these were difficult, so left them up to Mom. We found them at Walmart and they were so simple (she still did them!!) I also added a placket into the skirt (as per the pattern instructions), to make on and off easy! This was done with self-fabric bias. Mom will add 3 hook and eye sets to the waistband and placket to keep everything covered. Wink! 🙂 This was a fun dress. Nothing about this dress was difficult! I am glad to now be working on my own vintage dress – the 1914 Afternoon dress maternity and nursing style!
Good work, Christine!