When I decided to make the flower girl dress for my daughter for an upcoming wedding, I had a definite vision in mind. It didn’t need to be period specific, but I wanted to coordinate the style with that of all the bridesmaids. After searching oodles of patterns, the Girl’s 1780’s Portrait Dress best fit my vision. Since the bridesmaids will all be wearing chiffon, that was my fabric of choice. Being that it and the lining are so very sheer, some tweaking in the construction was required. I generally followed the lined gathered bodice instructions. Rather than use a binding for the neckline casing, however, I formed the casing out of an additional full layer of bodice lining. The only other major modification that I employed was the use of French seams. I also made a simple petticoat to give the skirt more fullness and opacity. (Side note…the dress has yet to be washed and properly pressed, but I was too eager to get a few photos and share it.) This was my first time using one of your patterns. The dress turned out even better than I had hoped! Thank you, Jennie, for such a wonderful pattern! I very much enjoyed sewing this dress. ~ Ember
This is absolutely beautiful–from the ethereal fabric used to the wide sash and lovely gathered bodice. I know she looked adorable in those wedding photos! Thanks for sharing, Ember.