Regency Gown Pattern

This is my original Regency gown pattern, modeled after the styles of the middle Regency and particularly appropriate for 1810s impressions. If you’re new to this time period, this is the pattern I recommend starting with, as it goes together very easily.

To see how you can easily alter this pattern to include a train, overskirt, nursing access, and other details, visit my Sewing Tips section. The pattern and the supplement are both rated “intermediate”, but I have had many beginners complete a gown with a minimum of help. Important: If you measure for a size between 20-26 or have a DD cup size, you will need the 18-26DD supplement in addition to the full pattern. It is available for $3.50 or as an ePattern in PDF format. Note: If you purchased a copy of this pattern prior to March 30, 2006, click HERE for corrections/revisions.

Regency Gown Supplement If you measure between an 18-26 or a DD cup, you’ll need this supplement in addition to the original Regency Gown pattern. This takes the pattern up from size 18 through 26, since it was not possible to fit all the extra pieces onto the two sheets in the original pattern. Available in paper format for $3.50 or as an ePattern (instant download) for $2.95. Click to view the Regency Gown Pattern Supplement yardage chart. Note: If you purchased a copy of this supplement prior to July 2009, click HERE for corrections.

Paper Supplement $3.50
eSupplement $2.95

Newer comments

158 Comments on Regency Gown Pattern

1. rachel
    June 22, 2010 at 1:24 pm (4 years ago)

I’m an adult size 0 – 2 and I can’t find any patterns for my size. :( Jane Austen Festival is only a few months away! Do I have any options?

June 25, 2010 at 1:34 pm (4 years ago)

Hi, Rachel!

Pattern sizes are not the same as off-the-rack sizes! A 0-2 in store sizes is more like a 6 or 8 in pattern sizes. Always go by actual measurements rather than “size” when choosing a pattern. All of my patterns have downloadable PDF yardage charts with the measurements on them, so just click to check! If you find that the smallest size is still too large, check my tutorial for How to Resize a Pattern!

Warmly,
      Jennie

2. ~Desiree~
    July 14, 2010 at 7:30 pm (4 years ago)

I noticed that the neck line is a bit low. Is that a problem??? Thank-you.

July 15, 2010 at 7:01 pm (4 years ago)

Hi, Desiree! The neckline hits everyone differently. It is four fingers below the collar bone on me. If you have a high bust point, it will look lower, but you can adjust the neckline curve to hit exactly where you want it to. Or use the Neckline Supplement for an entirely different look! :)

3. RegencyLover
    July 14, 2010 at 8:21 pm (4 years ago)

Wow, love this too! My favorite dress/pattern is the first one — I totally love the white, the rose in her hair, the hairstyle itself — everything! Can’t wait to see more of your brilliant work! :)

4. Desiree
    July 16, 2010 at 12:09 pm (4 years ago)

Thank-you for answering my question I am sure it will help a lot!

5. Alexandra
    July 17, 2010 at 8:45 am (4 years ago)

I am a 38D (but I have a small waist and hips), so will I have to buy the supplement? I was confused, because it seemed as if the supplement was for DD and up- is that correct?

July 17, 2010 at 10:59 am (4 years ago)

Hi, Alexandra!

The regular pattern goes up to a D cup, so you do not need the supplement unless you measure over a size 18. Just remember to go by the measurements and not by “size,” as patterns sizes are not the same as off-the-rack clothing. :) Have fun sewing!

6. LadyM
    July 21, 2010 at 10:29 pm (4 years ago)

What color were Regency gowns usually? I’ve seen a lot of white gowns, but I’m not sure which colors would be anti-period.

July 21, 2010 at 10:44 pm (4 years ago)

Actually, there are Regency gowns in all colors in museum collections–apple green, scarlet, fuschia, royal blue, bright yellow, chocolate brown, and so many prints and stripes to boot! To see reproduction fabrics from this period, go to http://reproductionfabrics.com/shelf.php?ID=3. Keep in mind that some colors were more age-appropriate than others…and some were used for half-mourning. If you’d like details, let me know!

• LadyM
        July 23, 2010 at 9:41 pm (4 years ago)

Ooh, I like the reproduction fabrics site. Thank you!
        I am curious about the use of different colors. I am thinking about making myself a ball gown for the We Make History Pride and Prejudice ball, and I want to use an appropriate color, while considering what looks good on me and my price range. :-) I’m happy that I have more to choose from than white and very light colors!

July 26, 2010 at 7:47 am (4 years ago)

It’s a great site, isn’t it? I love all the beautiful prints. Keep in mind that a ballgown would have been of fancier fabric than cotton, though — you want to look for silk, silk taffeta, voile, or organdy. The latter two are sheer and would go over a full bodiced petticoat. There are lots of kinds of voile available, including striped and dotted, so there are many lovely choices out there!

7. Aleksandra
    August 3, 2010 at 11:42 am (4 years ago)

Hello,

I was wondering whether you recommend washing the fabric first to shrink it? I am a bit concerned as my “main” fabric is supposed to shrink with 5% and the fabric I am going to use for lining is supposed to shrink with 2% and I don’t want the gown to turn out differently “sized” on the inside and the outside.

August 3, 2010 at 11:44 am (4 years ago)

Hello! Yes, always pre-shrink washable fabric, then iron before cutting out your garment. Some fabric will shrink a whole lot, so you want to get that out of the way before making your gown. Thanks for asking!

8. KatharinaMCS
    August 14, 2010 at 3:52 am (4 years ago)

Hello, :)
    I’d like to buy such a pattern in 12…so what do I have to do? Click on ‘Buy EPattern’ ?

August 14, 2010 at 1:29 pm (4 years ago)

Hi, Katharina! All sizes are included in the pattern–paper version or “e” version. So you just choose whichever format you prefer. I explain how ePatterns work in my FAQs. :)

9. Jessica Finch
    October 13, 2010 at 1:06 pm (4 years ago)

ok I’m totally confused I am needing to make a dress for a nutcracker costume so a ball gown but Nutcracker was written in 1891 and wikipedia said regency was the style at that time but the reproduction page says 1775 to 1825 do you have a pattern that would be more period appropriate?

October 13, 2010 at 1:53 pm (4 years ago)

Hi, Jessica! This ballet is usually staged with Regency costumes, as that was the time setting given by the original composer. However, I have seen it staged in Victorian and Edwardian costumes as well, so it really depends upon the director’s discretion. If you’re just going to attend a Nutcracker-themed ball, the Regency Gown pattern will be perfect. Hope this helps!

10. Amanda
    February 11, 2011 at 11:28 am (3 years ago)

What a gorgeous pattern! I recently finished my first project, a blouse made my shorting up the skirt. So much fun!

However, I’ve had my eye set on the gown that Jane Bennet wears in the most recent P & P movie: http://www.findfreegraphics.com/wallpaper-background-23/pride+and+prejudice+wallpaper.htm It looks like it’s made with gathered cotton chiffon. I’m quite intimidated–any advice on sewing this pattern using chiffon?

Thank you!

February 11, 2011 at 11:52 am (3 years ago)

Hi, Amanda! It’s not chiffon–it’s actually English muslin, which is a very gauzy fabric. You can use voile or organdy if you aren’t able to get English muslin (also called Egyptian muslin). Hope this helps!

11. Emma
    March 3, 2011 at 12:55 pm (3 years ago)

Do you know where I could buy this sort of gown? Because I really can’t do it myself. Or a good place where I can buy it online, cheap and so that I can order it to Sweden aswell.
    Thank you!

12. cb
    March 3, 2011 at 8:17 pm (3 years ago)

What is a packet? It is on the pattern instructions but not on the printable pattern…thanks!!!

March 4, 2011 at 1:26 am (3 years ago)

Hi, cb! I am not sure what you’re asking about. Where do you see a “packet” mentioned?

13. Caroline
    March 14, 2011 at 4:42 pm (3 years ago)

Hi Jennie,
    I’m thinking of getting your pattern to make my next Regency frock. I want it to be in the later 1810s style with the flat fronted bodice. Would your pattern enable me to do that? If not what would you recommend?
    Caroline

March 15, 2011 at 12:29 am (3 years ago)

Hi, Caroline! I am not sure what you mean by “flat fronted bodice.” Do you mean the apron front with the flat panel that opens? If so, I have instructions for that modification at http://sensibility.com/tips/how-to-make-a-drop-front-bodice-with-the-regency-gown-pattern/. If you mean just a plain bodice without gathers, that is best done by draping a new bodice, as mine is shaped and would require a lot of modification to be completely flat. Most flat-fronted bodices of the time were made with a separate front panel connected to shoulder straps that met the back pieces behind the shoulder. Hope this helps!

14. JodieR
    April 11, 2011 at 1:44 am (3 years ago)

Hi Jennie, perhaps CB means Placket?

15. Jennie Chancey
    April 11, 2011 at 2:28 pm (3 years ago)

Ah ha! I think you are right. The placket is cut on the bias as explained in the instructions–no pattern piece required. Thanks, Jodie!

16. Jessica
    April 21, 2011 at 9:02 am (3 years ago)

Hello! I seem have a fairly small sized upper body but I’m a bit broader around the hips. So size 10 or 12 at the top and size 14 at the lower part. I reckon the bodice will need adjustments but I want to make it as simple as possible. Do you think it could work to make the bodice in a smaller size than the skirt? Can I make them fit fairly well together (after all there are those wrinkles anyway) or will it mess up the entire pattern if I do it that way?

I’m just about to cut but would be grateful to get some advice before I ruin the fabric…

17. Lydia
    June 9, 2011 at 9:29 pm (3 years ago)

Hello!
    I am excited about making my first Regency gown for my junior piano recital… but I’m a bit confused. Do you need to make all of the underpinnings to go under this gown, or will it work with modern undergarments?
    Thanks for your help… I know that you’ve probably answered this question millions of time before, I just can’t find the answer. :)

June 10, 2011 at 2:11 am (3 years ago)

Lydia, this dress has a longer bodice and will work over modern undies. The Elegant Lady’s Closet pattern is the one that requires period underpinnings. :) Have fun sewing!

18. kathy
    July 8, 2011 at 6:50 pm (3 years ago)

the next to last photo under the ladies regency dress pattern features 3 ladies…the one in the middle has a blue over garment on over the dress…what is this and do you have the pattern for this also.
    p.s. I have made the regency dress in little girl size and several in the 18″ doll size and I LOVE them.

19. Megan Duncan
    August 26, 2011 at 8:12 am (3 years ago)

I just found your site–LOVE it! I’m so excited to get the regency pattern and get started. I adore the fabric on the pictured white gown–it is exactly what I’m looking for. Is it a type of fabric I could obtain just at a regular fabric store, or is it a specialty that I’d have to go online for? What is it? It looks softer/finer/gauzier than what I’ve seen in general at the fabric/craft stores out here in the western u.s.

August 26, 2011 at 10:42 am (3 years ago)

Hi, Megan! The fabric used for the white gown was actually just lightweight muslin (European calico). The closest you can get to it in the States is pima cotton, which is available at most fabric stores. If you want a really gauzy, light gown that needs a lining to avoid being see-through, go for voile or organdy. Hope this helps!

20. Megan Duncan
    August 29, 2011 at 4:59 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you so much! this helps immensely. Once I get everything together and get it done, I’ll be sure to send you photos of the final product. :)

21. Andreea DeSeno
    September 20, 2011 at 7:52 am (3 years ago)

Hi
    very beautiful modest dresses! Good job! The Regency is my favorite!
    Do you have more skirts patterns?
    Andreea (Romania)
    PS I wore the nice wedding dress that you modify for my sister in law, Anna Kinsey! Very beautiful, thank you

September 20, 2011 at 9:33 am (3 years ago)

Hi, Andreea! So glad you enjoyed my site, and I remember your sister’s wedding! I have a “Beatrix” skirt pattern, which is currently my only skirt pattern. However, I do have two 1950s skirt patterns in the works for next year, so check back! Warmly, Jennie

22. Tamara
    September 28, 2011 at 8:03 am (3 years ago)

Hi, I found your love pattern and a friend of mine wants me to make her a regency dress. I noticed your measurements for waist and hips are a bit smaller..her measurements are 49″ bust, 51 waist and 53 Hips. Im not a beginner sewer but not a professional. Do you think the size 26 be easy to modify for her measurements? Thanks,

September 28, 2011 at 8:09 am (3 years ago)

Hi, Tamara! Yes, you can modify the pattern by following my tutorial at http://sensibility.com/tips/how-to-resize-a-pattern/. To accommodate the hips, you’ll just need to add the extra skirt back panel as explained in the instructions (be sure to see how much more yardage you need–one full skirt length). Hope this helps, and have fun sewing for your friend!

23. Tamara
    September 28, 2011 at 8:15 am (3 years ago)

Awesome! Thank you!

On last question do you mean more yardage from the supplement pattern? Just checking to make sure I understand!

24. Jennie Chancey
    September 28, 2011 at 8:28 am (3 years ago)

The yardage chart on the supplement tells you how much you need for a 26. Add one full skirt length (empire waist to hem plus seam allowance) to that total, and you’ll be set! Warmly, Jennie

25. Kelsie-Anne
    October 9, 2011 at 5:16 am (3 years ago)

Hello There,
    just wondering whether this pattern allows you can make the neck line a bit higher I’m just not sure weather it would be to low for me.

Thanks so much, beautiful dresses btw. :)

Many blessings,
    ~Kelsie-Anne~

26. Jennie Chancey
    October 9, 2011 at 11:22 am (3 years ago)

Hello, Kelsie-Anne! The neckline hits everyone differently, as it depends entirely on your bust point (distance from shoulder to mid-bust). I have instructions on changing the neckline at http://sensibility.com/tips/easy-alterations-to-the-regency-gown-pattern, or you can purchase the Regency Gown Neckline Supplement, which offers even more options, at http://sensibility.com/patterns/regency-gown-neckline-supplement. Hope this helps!

27. Kelsie-Anne
    October 9, 2011 at 7:08 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you so much! that is a great help.

Many Blessings,
    ~Kelsie-Anne~

28. Serena
    October 9, 2011 at 8:55 pm (3 years ago)

Hi Jenny,
    Just a quick question – is there a height restriction on the pattern? In other words, would someone who is taller need more fabric, or need to adjust the pattern to fit their height appropriately?

October 11, 2011 at 10:35 am (3 years ago)

Hi, Serena! If you are over 5′ 6″, just add yardage for the desired hem length. If you need four more inches total to the hem, add eight inches to the yardage requirements (four inches each for skirt front and back). Hope this helps!

29. Nina
    October 19, 2011 at 11:17 pm (3 years ago)

I have a slightly different take on the “underpinning for the original Regency gown” question. How does the Regency dress look over the short stays? Should any alteration to the bodice be made? I know you can wear modern underclothes with that pattern, but good lift is still important to the period look and I hate underwire. I’m a 44D. Thanks!

October 21, 2011 at 2:09 am (3 years ago)

Hi, Nina! The short stays will work fine, and because you are a D cup, you will not need to shorten the bodice. Just be sure to make a muslin to try on over your completed stays so you can check length and neckline depth, and you’ll be set!

30. Selina
    October 20, 2011 at 3:29 am (3 years ago)

What fabric is used for the pink dress with the lace trim? It’s absolutely gorgeous! So are the dresses, BTW. :)

October 21, 2011 at 2:08 am (3 years ago)

Hi, Selina! That’s dupioni silk from the Silk Baron. Lots of luscious colors available! :-)

31. Jean
    October 28, 2011 at 8:22 pm (2 years ago)

I saw this a bit too late (already bought my fabric), but fortunately I was able to lay the pieces in such a way as to allow for extra length. If you reprint this pattern in the future, I think it’d be a great idea to state prominently somewhere that people over 5’6″ need extra inches of fabric. Or maybe you could put it right on your online yardage pdf. Overall, thanks for the great pattern. I’m finishing my dress now!

October 30, 2011 at 11:18 am (2 years ago)

Thanks for the comment, Jean! I had thought that notation was already on the yardage chart, but I am going to add it when we do our next reprint! Glad you were able to get the needed length! Cheers, Jennie

32. Judi Davenport
    October 29, 2011 at 8:24 am (2 years ago)

Hi, I live in the U.K and I’m planning a regency costume party for my 40th (sorry, 39th recurring!)birthday next year.. Do you ship patterns to the U.K? lucky for me mum was a dressmaker and still does alterations. Thankyou

October 30, 2011 at 11:19 am (2 years ago)

Hi, Judi! We ship anywhere in the world that the postal service goes. If you add the pattern to your shopping cart, it will ask you where you want to ship and give you the exact postage amount for the UK. Alternatively, you can order from one of our UK retailers and not pay for air mail shipping! See my Retailers page to find a local dealer in the UK. :)

33. Keri
    November 21, 2011 at 7:41 pm (2 years ago)

Hi there! I want to make up a Regency gown using your pattern – it looks gorgeous – but I’m a little confused by the sizing.

I’m in the UK, and I’m a 34F bra size. Would I need to alter the pattern and/or buy the supplement to make it work, as you say it only goes up to a D.

I’d like to know before I go out and buy the fabric as it will reduce the potential for messing up.

November 22, 2011 at 12:43 pm (2 years ago)

Hi, Keri! Altering a bodice for a larger cup size is very easy. See my instructions for a DD cup in the Romantic Era Gown appendix and use the same instructions (with your own unique measurements, of course!). Have fun sewing!

34. Keri
    November 22, 2011 at 5:10 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you, that’s fantastic! :D

35. Cindy
    December 13, 2011 at 3:08 am (2 years ago)

Wanted to say that I love this style of dress.

I’m a beginner dressmaker – I’ve made a couple of easy sew skirts and was wondering if you would recommend this pattern for someone who is learning to make their own clothes?

December 13, 2011 at 5:05 am (2 years ago)

Hi, Cindy! If you have already made skirts, you are ready to move up to the Regency Gown. I have a class if you need in-depth help on the more advanced sewing terms, but I’ve had so many beginners make dresses with no trouble using this pattern. And I am happy to help via email if you get stuck! :)

36. Cindy
    December 13, 2011 at 7:00 am (2 years ago)

Thanks ever so much Jennie. I’m going to give it a go. It’s good to know that you are on the other end of the email for help.

37. Helen
    January 6, 2012 at 10:39 am (2 years ago)

I have seen a pattern in the Butterick book that recommends satin for the dress. What do you think of this? Do you think it would crumple? I am attending the JASNA convention in New York this year and want to make a dress. I like your Regency pattern also.

January 6, 2012 at 12:07 pm (2 years ago)

Hi, Helen! Modern satin is not at all like what was called “satin” in the Regency time period. Unless you used a really heavy bridal satin (which would be too heavy for the time period), it would wrinkle and crumple, just as you thought. Better to stick with real silk (available without breaking the bank at Silk Baron) or sheers like voile and organdy (which resemble the “muslin” of the period). I hope this helps!

38. Naomi Long
    January 27, 2012 at 4:56 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Jennie,
    I’ve been admiring all your patterns the last couple days and I have fallen in love with them! I’t’s very difficult to find such lovely feminine clothes these days that are tasteful, beautiful and modest at the same time. So thank you for these patterns!
    I was looking through my pattern collection and came across one i had picked up at walmart but never used and it struck me that it looks VERY similar to the regency gown. And then I looked closer and discovered it had your emblem on it! (“Sense and sensibility patterns”) Its a simplicity costume pattern #4055. Is there anyway you could tell me what gown this is? If you could tell me if there is a difference between yours and my simplicity one, that would be awesome! Thank you again,
    ~Naomi

39. Annie
    February 2, 2012 at 1:59 pm (2 years ago)

Jennie,

First I must say I love your site. I loved finding the Regency Gown Pattern, and reading all the comments. As I do my research before purchasing the pattern – and fabric, I would like to ask what fabric would be best for lining the gown. I have visions of something very elaborate and am a bit nervous about this so want to get all questions sorted before beginning.
    Thank you.
    Annie

February 3, 2012 at 3:12 am (2 years ago)

Hi, Annie! I am so glad you’ve enjoyed the site. It is a total joy to run! Now for lining: If you’re going to make something out of really gorgeous fabric like silk or organdy, I recommend using Pima cotton, which is lightweight and so soft. It’s sturdy enough to line beautifully, but it’s also comfortable to wear. If you plan to make a day dress for lots of wear, I’d go with bleached muslin, as it’s thicker and stronger. 100% cotton is your best bet in any case, as it is much more comfortable and won’t cause perspiration like typical poly lining fabric does. Also purchase a yard of inexpensive muslin to use for your test bodice (the “toile”). You can check out the fit as directed in the instructions without worrying that you’re wasting good material. I hope this helps, and have fun sewing!

40. Blythe Ann Hockensmith
    February 19, 2012 at 2:04 pm (2 years ago)

What a terrific site! This has been such a huge help – sending several customers here to shop.

41. Judy Hock
    February 22, 2012 at 10:21 am (2 years ago)

I am about to attach the sleeves to the bodice. Should I sew through the bodice lining layer too? This will leave a rough edge. Alternatively, I could attach the sleeve to only the main bodice piece, leaving the bodice lining loose and then hand sew the lining over the sleeve seam. Do you recommend this?

February 22, 2012 at 12:43 pm (2 years ago)

Hi, Judy! The most common finishing technique I’ve seen for this time period is just overcasting the raw seam, but I have also seen bound armholes (using self-fabric bias binding). I’ve never seen a period gown that used lining to finish the armscye. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t done–just that I’ve never seen it! Hope this helps!

42. Molly
    March 7, 2012 at 10:59 am (2 years ago)

Hi! I had a few questions about fabric selection. I want to make the dress period-correct because I am sewing it as a history project, so I want to make sure I don’t pick something that was totally foreign back then. :)

I was looking at the website you recommended for Regency reproduction fabrics, and it looks to me like most of the patterns are very large print floral designs. I would like to make a cotton day dress and I found a coffee/camel colored calico with a very small burgundy rose print on it. Did they use calicos like that back then?

Also, I’ve been looking online and in books at photographs of original dresses and most of the ones I can find from the era use solid colored fabrics… is it true that patterned fabric was not commonly used?

Thanks so much for your help!
    ~Molly

March 7, 2012 at 12:13 pm (2 years ago)

Hello, Molly! Small “roller” prints were actually used quite a lot from 1810 on. The technology got better, so it became less expensive to produce the printed cottons. Before that, they were imported from India and were block-printed by hand. So, yes, you can use the smaller cotton prints on ReproductionFabrics.com for an 1810s gown. There were a lot of gowns in solid colors, too, but you do find small prints for day gowns and work dresses. Hope this helps!

43. Ahmed
    March 8, 2012 at 8:57 am (2 years ago)

Hello Mrs Chancey,
    You have made me a very contented lady indeed as I have a final degree show coming up in 8 weeks and your regency dress pattern is going to be in my final degree show!!!!! Will send picture. Thank-you very much.
    Miss D Ahmed

March 8, 2012 at 12:36 pm (2 years ago)

Wonderful! I look forward to seeing it. :)

44. Molly
    March 8, 2012 at 9:21 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Mrs. Chancey,
    Thank you so much for your advice! It was very helpful – you answered my question exactly. :) I’m looking forward to getting started!
    Molly

45. Jenny
    April 16, 2012 at 3:46 pm (2 years ago)

I am making the Regency dress button in the front, instead of the back, and I have a question. I know that I do not cut the placket in the back skirts, but do I have to add extra material on the front skirt, in order to allow space for the placket?

46. Kati
    April 25, 2012 at 4:07 pm (2 years ago)

Is it possible to make this nursing friendly? I’ve had no luck trying to find modest, feminine nursing dresses. This dress is so beautiful that I’d love to give it a try!!

Thanks!

April 25, 2012 at 4:32 pm (2 years ago)

Kati, I show how to make a button-front closure for nursing access in my “Easy Alterations” tutorial. You can also make a nursing flap if you follow the instructions in my Romantic Era Dress pattern (scroll down to 3E in the instructions). I just recommend lengthening the bodice by another 1.5-2″ to provide enough room for the button flap. Hope this helps!

47. BARB
    April 30, 2012 at 2:30 pm (2 years ago)

Hi,
    I had the same question, the”placket” not packet is shown on the pattern layout but there is no pattern piece for the placket in the kit. I found out that the placket is the extra piece of fabric that strengthens re-enforces the opening on the skirt (in this case) or any opening on a piece of clothing – like interfacing I think.

BG

April 30, 2012 at 2:42 pm (2 years ago)

Hi, Barb! You actually do not need a pattern piece to make a placket. The instructions say, “To make a placket for the center back skirt opening, cut a piece of fabric on the bias twice as long as the back opening and two inches wide.” After you cut the slit in the center back, you cut a placket to match as instructed and go from there. The placket should be cut of your fashion material–not of interfacing. Hope this helps!

48. Ali H.
    May 4, 2012 at 10:06 am (2 years ago)

Do you have a sizing chart for this dress pattern?

May 4, 2012 at 11:44 am (2 years ago)

Hi, Ali! Just click to download the yardage chart in the bulleted list above. That has all the measurements for each size. Thanks!

49. Cynthia
    May 8, 2012 at 12:40 am (2 years ago)

I just purchased the Regency dress pattern. I realized my husband won’t be home to help me button up the back. Can you put these on over your head, already buttoned up? Or, I suppose I can sew the buttons on, and make a Velcro closure?? Suggestions?

May 8, 2012 at 2:01 am (2 years ago)

Hi, Cynthia! If you are not very broad through the shoulders, you absolutely can slip a buttoned gown over your head. Takes a bit of wriggling, but it can be done. ;) If you want a truly slip-on dress, though, I recommend the drawstring option from my Elegant Lady’s Closet pattern, which slips over the head and ties with drawstrings for a perfect fit. Hope this helps!

50. Lyric
    June 18, 2012 at 12:10 pm (2 years ago)

Hello Jennie,

I have the Simplicity S&S pattern. How does it differ from the one here? Not wanting duplicate patterns when I could be purchasing a different one from your collection.

Thanks,

L

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Regency Gown Pattern

1. [...] a whip stitch? The whole process started with a pattern.  I happen to love Jennie Chancey’s Regency Gown Pattern, which I downloaded from her website.  NEWSFLASH: Patterns now come as an “e-pattern”. [...]

2. [...] used Sensibility’s Regency Gown pattern. I can’t speak highly enough about her patterns. Especially since she has a wide [...]