1910s Tea Gown Pattern

This pattern was inspired by “Titanic” and follows the styles of 1911-1913 with its multi-layered skirt and kimono-style bodice.

• Sizes 8-26 all included in one envelope.
  • “DD” Bodice Supplement available for $3.
  • Photo Instructions online (coming soon in PDF format).
  • Click to download the 1910s Tea Gown Pattern yardage chart.
  • Available for instant download as an ePattern in PDF format!
  • Feeling intimidated by all those layers? You can enroll in my online 1910s Tea Gown class if you’d like step-by-step instructions and live help for creating your own gown!

This pattern is rated “intermediate” mainly because of the extra steps involved in tailoring the bodice for a perfect fit and because of all the skirt layers. I am always available to answer questions through the Contact Form if you need help! Note: While all sizes are included, if you wear a “DD” cup, you will need to purchase the supplement to get a perfect fit.

Note: If you purchased a copy of this pattern prior to February 2, 2010, click here for corrections.

“DD” Supplement

Paper Supplement $3.00

eSupplement $1.95

29 Comments on 1910s Tea Gown Pattern

1. Erin
    May 20, 2010 at 10:19 am (4 years ago)

Hello!I just wanted to say that I am very impressed with the new look of your website! Also, that dress is gorgeous! I know that when I am able to sew well enough to make something like that you can expect my business!

2. Bria
    October 7, 2010 at 5:30 pm (4 years ago)

Oh I am going to get this pattern! My absolute favorite Edwardian dress. And the new look to the site looks great Mrs. Chancey. I love all the new patterns added as well.

3. Olivia
    December 30, 2010 at 4:37 pm (4 years ago)

I’ve just started sewing and I can’t wait until I can sew a dress like this! you can be sure that i will use you business in the future! you Love of historical clothing is refreshing. I have been looking for a website like this for what feels like forever! Thank you.

4. Kate Ballard
    September 5, 2011 at 11:05 am (3 years ago)

Is there any way you could size this down to a size 8 girls (e.g. not juniors) for me? I think I can sew well enough to follow the pattern, but I have no idea how to scale a pattern down to a different size. My diminutive 9-year-old is fixated on Titanic history, memorabilia, the movie, etc., at present and I would very much like to give her a “Rose” dress for Christmas to go with the Titanic Rose Barbie she is hoping for. Thanks very much!

September 5, 2011 at 12:39 pm (3 years ago)

Hello, Kate! I’m afraid I don’t have the time to size patterns for customers, but I do have a step-by-step tutorial on how to do this at http://sensibility.com/tips/how-to-resize-a-pattern/. Keep in mind that your daughter will not need darts, so you can ignore those completely and just take in the side seams after sizing down the bodice for her. Hope this helps!

5. Kelly Fortune
    September 29, 2011 at 10:41 pm (3 years ago)

Can this be made with nursing access? Thanks in advance!
    Kelly

6. Kate Ballard
    October 26, 2011 at 12:17 pm (3 years ago)

I totally missed your reply – thanks very much for your help!

October 26, 2011 at 2:18 pm (3 years ago)

You’re welcome! Have fun sewing for your daughter!

7. Elisabeth
    April 1, 2012 at 2:10 pm (3 years ago)

I absolutly LOVE this dress!! Ive been sewing for almost 2 years. could you tell me how hard this pattern is to follow. And where did you purchace your fabric. Thanks :) E

April 1, 2012 at 4:09 pm (3 years ago)

Hi, Elisabeth! This is definitely an intermediate pattern due to all the layering and the unique fit of the bodice, but if you’ve been sewing two years, you could tackle it. I also have an online class for this pattern if you’d like a little more “hand-holding” through the steps. :) The material for my blue gown is chiffon; for the pink and light blue version, it’s silk georgette. Either fabric works great for this pattern (with a solid silk or cotton as the skirt lining). Hope this helps!

8. Sabrina S.
    April 14, 2012 at 4:03 pm (3 years ago)

That dress is absolutely gorgeous! I would love to make it but if it’s an intermediate pattern I would probably need help from my mum.
    Do you ship to Europe? How long does that usually take and have you ever had any issues with it? I would love to wear that dress for my uni graduation in June

April 15, 2012 at 12:09 pm (3 years ago)

Hi, Sabrina! We do ship to Europe via air mail (if you put the pattern into your cart, then enter your address, it will tell you the total with air mail shipping). However, there are also retailers in the UK, Sweden, and the Netherlands who carry my patterns, so you might want to see if you can purchase from someone closer to you and save on shipping. Hope this helps!

9. Sabrina
    April 15, 2012 at 12:30 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you very much for your quick reply! Unfortunately the retailer here seem to be out of it and I am worried to order it from the US. I need it for early May as otherwise I won’t have anyone to help me with it.
    I think I will go with the e-pattern and print it myself. The dress is so gorgeous, I am looking forward to wearing it

April 15, 2012 at 1:44 pm (3 years ago)

That works, too! Just make sure you read the ePattern instructions document first and print the test page to be sure it is printing to scale. Have fun sewing!

10. Steffi
    April 16, 2012 at 11:14 am (3 years ago)

You have no idea how long I’ve wanted this dress! I’ll have to get back into sewing quick and practise, I need this in my life!

11. Marie
    April 30, 2012 at 7:56 am (3 years ago)

Noticed that it was two bodice pieces on the pattern, shall I use both or simply just pick one of them?

April 30, 2012 at 10:43 am (3 years ago)

Hi, Marie! Sizes 6-16 are on one piece, while sizes 18 and above are on the other. The larger sizes needed the side dart for a better fit, thus the two bodice pieces. :)

12. Emilie
    October 20, 2012 at 5:14 pm (2 years ago)

Oh, wow. This dress is just beautiful! Is there anywhere that you are selling this one already made? I would definitely buy one..or two!

13. Nicoleta Fisher
    September 26, 2013 at 8:59 pm (1 year ago)

Is it possible to make this dress for size 4 or 6?

September 26, 2013 at 11:08 pm (1 year ago)

H, Nicoleta! Pattern sizes are not the same as off-the-rack sizes, so be sure to check the measurement chart and go by measurements instead of size. A pattern size 6 is closer to a 2 off-the-rack. Hope this helps!

14. Amy
    June 24, 2014 at 8:08 pm (4 months ago)

I saw there’s a supplement for those with a dd cup. What if I’m more than that? Out of luck?

June 24, 2014 at 8:42 pm (4 months ago)

Hi, Amy! It’s actually quite easy to size up to any other cup size if you follow my instructions and substitute your measurements. Happy sewing!

4Pingbacks & Trackbacks on 1910s Tea Gown Pattern

1. [...] this day, my favorite pattern is still the 1910′s Tea Gown, because I do so love the Titanic/Edwardian era.  I have made this dress on a few occasions [...]

2. [...] have had fabulous results with all of Mrs. Chancey’s patterns, but my favorite by far is the 1910′s Tea Gown.  The Titanic/Edwardian era has long been one of my favorite clothing periods, and I was excited [...]

3. [...] years of admiring the “1910s Tea Gown“ pattern from Sense & Sensibility Patterns,  I have finally found the time to create my own [...]

4. [...] I have finished my lacy Edwardian tea gown sewn with Sense & Sensibility’s wonderful pattern, and I can hardly wait to share the results! This fantastic design is wonderfully easy to sew, and [...]